What Parents Should Know
….About the Kansas College and Career Ready Standards
The Common Core Standards
- Prepare students for college and careers.
- Provice a common set of expectations for students.
- Provide a common set of goals for academic attainment.
- Elevate the rigor of instruction.
- Fewer, higher clearer standards.
- 45 states have adopted similar standards.
- Standards are benchmarked to international standards.
- In English Language Arts, students focus on reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. Increased reading of non-fiction.
- In Math, students will develop a sequence of math skills and concepts. They will be asked to demonstrate their math understanding in a variety of ways including solving multi-step problems, explaining their answers and building mathematical models.